Thursday, January 28, 2010

Potty Training

It has been one year since I started potty training Kayle. I feel like it has been forever! When we first started the process I knew we would be moving soon and I wanted to try to get it accomplished before we left. That gave me about 5 months to do it, plenty of time I thought. I had no idea how time consuming and involved potty training was and still is!

We started just introducing her to the potty chair and watching videos or reading books about the potty business. She showed little interest but we just kept it up. Eventually she would sit on the potty, which she got a little 'treat' for. I wanted to reward anything!! I cannot remember the first time she actually did any kind of business in the potty chair but I was really excited! After that, she began refusing to go near her potty chair. SO, my genius and creative sister (who was visiting at that time) suggested decorating it and bringing in the potty fairy! We put gems and glitter glue all over that thing! Then, that night we put a note on her chair from the fairy potty saying she would bring Kayle something special if she peed or pooped in the toilet! Somehow, that worked and she peed in the toilet. The potty fairy came for 3 nights and it seemed to get her going.

While we still had many accidents, Kayle was starting to show improvement. It came time to move and Kayle traveled in Pull-ups, occasionally peeing in a public restroom. Once we settled in we got into a routine and she had 2 months to get it down because once she was in preschool she had to be potty trained, (that is what I told her). Well, preschool started and she got it down. It is funny but it is almost as if she was just waiting for preschool to start. I don't know.

We maybe have an accident once a month, maybe! Night training is another story but I am happy to say that a year later, we have success!

No comments: